Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Strawberry Oat Breakfast Cake


I recently found some organic strawberries from California at the local grocery store. I was excited. I really love this adorable berry. So, I bought a quart sized container, and then a few days later I drove back to the store for another. It will be a few months before strawberries show their beauty here in Michigan, so I figured I better try my share of California strawberries in the meantime :)

At heart, I am a simple girl. Little things make me happy like peaceful sunrises, bouquets of freshly forged wild flowers, and bright colors. I don't need the latest and greatest pieces of technology, and most would laugh if they saw my ancient phone that it's only app is to dial numbers and call people. Being at the brink of the culture is not that important to me, it's the little things that really bring me joy. Like special moments with those I love. My husband's great grandmother's hand-me down 1920's golden flower coated love seat. Or my stack of outdated food magazines that I turn through time and again for inspiration. Really, simple joys in life are so much more special than the stress of the modern world. So it's no surprise that fresh foods bring me pure happiness in life of fake processed muck. freshness like strawberries. Especially after weeks of cold, frost-bitten life. So, I celebrate a little luscious red berry in my kitchen with a breakfast cake treat. It's a good day. Thank God for fresh food!
Strawberry Oat Breakfast Cake Recipe
1/2 cup of flax meal ( or grind whole flax seeds in a coffee grinder or food processor)
1/2 cup of sweet white rice flour
1 ts. of baking powder
1/2 ts. of sea salt
1 ts. of ground cinnamon
1 ts. of ground ginger

3 ripened smashed bananas
2 farm fresh eggs
1 cup of almond milk
1/4 cup of coconut oil, or light baking olive oil
1/4 cup of raw honey, or raw agave nectar


Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Then add in the mashed bananas. And then all of the wet ingredients. Mix well together until your cake batter is fully mixed and ready for pouring into a 8x8 or 9x9 pie circle pan, or square pan works too. Make sure to grease the pans with a little coconut oil before pouring. After you pour, pat down the batter and sprinkle a little cane sugar or sucanat and then about 1 cup or so of fresh strawberry slices. You can add as many slices of strawberry as you want. Or it's your preference on how large the slices you desire. I used about 1 cup of slices strawberries. Then bake, at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes, or until there is no gooey middle in the cake. Slice the cake arm and serve with your morning coffee or tea and it will almost be like you didn't miss a beat with your morning bowl of oatmeal, instead you are enjoying in a slice, and a side of strawberries. Enjoy!

Some other things I have been enjoying my strawberries include...strawberry milkshakes, strawberries dipped in dark chocolate, and fresh strawberries slices over my spinach salad. HMmm.

Much love to you friends! Hope you enjoy the simple things in life today, like fresh berries.

2 comments: