Sunday, November 8, 2009

Pumpkin Spice Pancakes (gluten-free, dairy-free)


I have been a busy lady lately. I am in the process of moving right now, so packing boxes and organizing are taking up most of my spare minutes.

Until today.

I am determined to enjoy some homemade pumpkin pancakes, grain free. Why grain free? Well, I have been doing some experimenting on how maybe more people that are trying to rid themselves of yeast, fungus and mold in their body would really benefit from a grain free diet. Maybe not forever, but for a time to cleanse the body. This immediately makes me turn to almond and coconut for baking. How could we live without those staples, I really don't know. So, this recipe was developed with a saturday mindset, and yet it is not lacking nutrients or flavor. I will probably adjust this recipe depending on how many people I would make it for, but for now this is what I came up with...

Pumpkin Spice Pancakes Recipe:
1 cup of pureed pumpkin, or can pumpkin would do as well.
1 cup of ground up almonds or almond meal (in a food processor or coffee grinder)
1/2 cup of millet flour
3/4 cup of tapioca flour
1 TB of baking powder
1/2 ts. of sea salt
4 TB of unrefined sugar cane (sucant) or agave nectar works too
1 TB of vanilla
2 TB of oil, either walnut or light olive oil
2 large farm fresh eggs
2 TB of pumpkin pie spice blend, or...
1 ts of each ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves and then 1 TB of cinnamon
1/2 cup of non-dairy milk ( I used coconut milk beverage)


Mix all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and make sure the texture is thick and "creamy" and you start to see some bubbles popping up from the baking powder.

Ladle spoonfuls of the batter into a large frying pan that is coated with some walnut or olive oil. This recipe will make about 8 large pancakes, or 12 small one. Make sure when you drop the batter in the frying pan to spread out just a bit with your ladle or spoon to make sure it thins out just a bit.

Cook for a few minutes on each side. Make sure there is now raw batter pouring out from the middle or sides, and the viola it is done. Eat hot from the pan, with a drizzle of pure maple syrup, or if you are avoid sugar or yeast forming foods, stick with a drizzle of agave nectar or some fresh homemade applesauce to top.

I am enjoying mine with a cup of tea and the morning news. Hope you have a good weekend and find time to rest.

2 comments:

  1. Your recipe name is incorrect, millet is a grain. It is said to be more digestible and less allergenic than most grains though.
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Suzzette, you are correct. I guess I have always considered millet a seed because of it being grouped with the rest of the seeds, but is really a "seeded" grain as wikipedia puts it. I made the corrections in the recipe post, thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete