Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pumpkin Jack-O-Lantern Cookies

Halloween is just a few days away and people are stocking up on candy and party treats for the weekend. My son is too young to know what is going on, and even though he is going to look adorable in his monkey costume that he will flaunt for the grandparents, he does not care about candy. Thank goodness! :) I am not sure I will handle all of the over-indulgence in candy on this day. [By the way, would love to hear from other healthy mom's what they do about the candy issue.] I don't have much room to talk about candy, I LOVED candy when I was a kid, and yes, I am afraid of the day when my baby will know about candy that is sugar and dye-filled. I will get to that hurdle when I get there...in the meantime, I am baking up some cutsie tooties jack-o-lantern cookies to eat and enjoy for the weekend. They are really just pumpkin cookies that you can make without putting a face on them and you can add chocolate chips or raisins if you like. But to make baking Halloween cookies fun for the kids, I added a little fun to making some pumpkin smile faces. I hope you enjoy!
This is a fun kids Halloween treat, but I also have a special pumpkin 'nog pudding recipe I will post later for the adults in your life. Which would also be a good pair with these cookies and still doesn't make you feel sick and awful after you eat them. That is probably the worst part about November 1... the sugar hangover, or worse...a cold/flu a brewing because of a weakened immune system from the toxic sugar. So friends, why not enjoy a treat without the after sugar-shock affects and start November on a good foot!
Pumpkin Jack-O-Lantern Cookie Recipe
1/2 cup of millet flour
1/2 cup of tapioca flour
1 TB of chia seed meal or gel
1/2 cup of coconut palm sugar (or pure maple syrup)
1 ts. of baking powder
1/2 ts. of baking soda
1/2 ts of sea salt
1 ts. of pumpkin pie spice blend
1/4 cup of soft coconut oil (or vegan butter, Earth Balance- soy free)
1/4 cup of non-dairy milk (or use some So Delicious coffee creamer for some extra flavor)
1/3 cup of pumpkin puree (fresh or canned)

handful of allergen-free, vegan chocolate chips (I used mini's)
handful of organic raisins

Mix up batter, it may be a bit sticky, then roll out 16 balls on a parchment paper and flatten with a spoon, spatula or oiled cup bottom. They do not spread too much on the baking sheet, so no need to worry about too much room. Also, if you use an oiled spoon to smooth out the tops of the cookies, it will make a difference for smoothness on the post-baked cookie. Basically, however they look when you put them in the oven is how they will look when they come out. Then use mini chocolate chips to decorate pumpkin faces, and maybe some raisins to make a stem or whatever else. Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 18-20 minutes. Let cool and do not touch for at least 20-30 minutes to avoid cracking and breaking.


Enjoy and have a happy and safe weekend!

Much love to you as always!

No comments:

Post a Comment