Thursday, January 12, 2012

Fruit and Seed Trailmix Cookies (vegan)

This simple recipe was based off a cookie recipe I saw put together in a magazine add. The original recipe contained eggs, sugar and nuts, so I went to work to make some alterations for my own dietary purposes. Plus, I think I am addicted to converting recipes to healthier alternatives. I think this is me admitting my problem...or at least proclaiming my addiction. They say this is the first step, right?
If you're like me, you may have been doing this alternative baking thing for a while as well. You start to look at conventional recipes and only see all that you can do with it. Changing flours, sweeteners and adding in some more nourishing ingredients, just because you can. I've always had a problem with following the rules. I can never really do as I am told. Call me defiant, or it may just be the addicting high I get in creating something of my own. Like a hit of adrenaline. The edge of adventure and trying something new. Or maybe I am just a bit crazy in the kitchen- so it may just be my problem after all.

I have a hunch though that if you like this blog and my recipes you may just be kinda crazy in the kitchen as well. You like healthier recipes, ideas and being creative in the kitchen. You stop by here because it beckons you to take the next step. To try something new. To be adventurous. It's addicting...
So, here is another one of my crazy no-sugar, no-nuts, no-gluten and dairy recipes with lots of healthy ingredients like seeds, fruit and oats. Lots of vitamins, healthy fats and whole grains. It is the perfect snack, treat, dessert or yes, even breakfast.

Fruit and Seed Trailmix Cookie Recipe (vegan)
1 cup of sunflower seed butter (natural-kind with oils works best in my opinion) (I used Once Again's)
1 cup of certified gluten-free rolled oats (I used Bob Red Mill's)
1/2 cup of finely chopped dates
1/2 cup of dried cranberries
1/2 cup of raw sunflower seeds
1 TB of flax seed meal
2 TB of chia seed meal
1/2 ts. of  each-baking powder, baking soda and sea salt
10-15 drops of liquid pure vanilla stevia (I used NuNatural's)
1/3-1/2 cup of hemp milk (or other non-dairy milk)
optional: 1/2 cup of allergen-free chocolate chips (If you want to avoid the sweeteners in the chocolate, then I suggest leaving the chips out, and add raisins or pumpkin seeds instead).

Mix the butter, dry ingredients, fruit and seeds together first, then add the milk and stevia. Start with adding 1/3 cup of milk, if the batter seems a little crumbly, then add another 1/8 cup of milk to help make it stick together better. Mix well with a spoon or rubber spatula and then lastly add the chocolate chips if you decide. Mix well and let sit for a minute for the oats and seeds to soak up lingering moisture. The batter will be just a bit sticky, so don't worry if it is. Then use a spoon or your hands to roll cookie balls and place them on the parchment papered cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. This recipe will make about 2 dozen small cookies and about 18 larger cookies.
I hope you find some space today to create. Whether it be something in the kitchen, your workshop or your life, creating something new for yourself can be really satisfying and healing. When you can give yourself more hope for the future with what you can create it can cause a ripple affect for your health. The ability to hope and have promise for tomorrow will allow your body, mind and soul to rest and find meaning and purpose.

Much life and love to you today!

xo
Stephanie

2 comments:

  1. This is my kind of cookie! Must make them. Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just stumbled upon your blog, and I'm so excited to try some of your recipes! These cookies look delicious. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete