Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sunflower Cilantro Lime Slaw

February in Michigan = blah. This time of year I start to crave fresh produce. Maybe it's the garden planning or maybe it's just been way too darn long since eating something really fresh. Like crisp and freshly picked green beans from the plant to my plate. You can just taste the nutrients, flavors and perfection. I'm thankful that we live in a world where I am able to buy produce from the warm places I live not, but yet there is still something missing even from that produce. It may just be because that produce was picked days (or weeks) ago and still not really ripe. Or maybe I am just spoiled. Spoiled on fresh amazingly good food from my local farmers and backyard for most of the year. I guess I'm finding that I am truly grateful for fresh local produce, and I especially feel the thankfulness this time of year when it's lacking.
Either way, I have been craving fresh, crunchy and tasty produce. So I bought some colorful organic cabbage from my grocery store to suffice my dreams of a fresh and crunchy slaw. Cabbage is actually considered a 'winter food'. Maybe because it is such a hearty veggie that is can be grown in cooler weather towards the end of the warmer season. But it just sounded good and fresh to make a sweet and tangy slaw. Something to sink your teeth into and something to linger as we dream of the summer month's and harvest bounty.
I have mentioned before how I love cabbage. I like cabbage soups, wraps, and slaws. What is some of your favorite ways to eat cabbage? It seems to be a noble venture to try and eat more cabbage or at least veggies from the cruciferorus vegetable family. They have been shown to help colon health and prevent toxic cancer cells from forming. They contain many phytonutrients that play a large role in fighting against inflammation in the body. Cabbage is an amazing way to add nutrients to your life and preventative health plan. Here is my latest way to blend a few flavors to make cabbage more desirable and addicting.
Sunflower Cilantro Lime Slaw Recipe
1/2 head of finely chopped or shredded purple cabbage
1/2 head of finely chopped or shredded green cabbage
2-3 large carrots shredded on grater
optional: 2-3 finely chopped scallions or shallots

dressing:
2/3 cup of raw sunflower seeds
2/3 cup packed of washed and chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 ts. of each: ground ginger, turmeric, garlic powder, and ground mustard seed
1/3 cup of grapeseed oil or olive oil
1/3 cup of pure water
1 large lime juiced (about 1/3 cup)
1 TB of apple cider vinegar (add more if you want it more tangy)
1 TB of wheat-free tamari sauce
2 TB of sucanat or other sweetener (honey or sugar)
sea salt and black pepper to taste

optional ingredients: top with a sprinkle of raw sunflower seeds, more cilantro or raisins

Shred your washed cabbage how you prefer: extra thin, chunky or a little of both. Then toss the cabbage together in a large bowl with your shredded carrots and scallions. Then in a high-powered blender or magic bullet put all of the dressing ingredients. Blend on high until everything is liquid and then pour the dressing over the shredded veggies and mix and toss well. Make sure the dressing is evenly spread and let sit in the fridge for a little bit to let the flavors sink in. You can serve right away or let sit, whatever works or you prefer. It will keep in the fridge fresh for a few days and is enjoyable with most any meal.


Serve with a topping of more raw sunflower seeds or add some more sweetness with a toss of raisins. Plus you can make it look pretty for serving with a fresh sprig of cilantro if you want. This slaw would work perfect for any BBQ, sandwich, wrap, burger or on the side of a hearty stew or winter meal. 

I hope you are finding ways to enjoy something colorful and fresh this week. And...I haven't forgotten that the day of love is this week. I hope to post a simple yummy v-day recipe tomorrow :)

Much love as always!

Stephanie

3 comments:

  1. That looks really delicious...and I'm not even a huge cabbage fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trisha- Thanks for the comment. Hope you have a happy v-day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I just made this minus the sunflower seeds and mustard seed and oh my goodness it is amazing. I wrapped some into a lavash and am enjoying the burst of all the flavor. Totally will stay in the recipe box. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete