Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Oatmeal Chia Bread

About this time every year, I start dreaming and trying to make lovely loaves of bread to eat with comforting bowls of soup. Or just to have around as a lunch or snack topped with sunflower seed butter and homemade pear butter or whatever fruit and nut you like. It's funny because when I looked back the past 3 years I have posted some form of "protein" bread in January, so I guess my instinct for bread making in January cannot be denied. This bread is no different. It is full of whole grain goodness and protein along with a hefty helping of chia seed meal to make it full of fiber, antioxidants and even more protein.
There is something about making your own bread as a gluten-free lady that makes you feel like you conquered some law of science that said it can't be done. It isn't easy, but it can be done and this one is also done without yeast, eggs, dairy and any kind of gummy addition, which is also a challenge these days. Regardless if you have failed before in the GF bread baking dept. I challenge you to try again and try and make it interesting and not always compare it to the bread from Italy, France or gourmet local bakery. Because we all know that you just can't completely compare, you are using different flours and how could you come up with the same exact result, right?! The goal is to find a bread that makes you feel like you are not settling, one that you really can say you love and that the best part is it is gluten-free.
I do have some days where I just want to stroll along the brickroad street and pick up a hearty loaf of goodness from the local baker. Especially after living over seas in the Middle East and seeing parts of Europe it seems a special simple novelty that should happen on a daily basis. I haven't found a local gluten-free bakery yet here in Grand Rapids that offers that same feel, and have only experienced once or twice in other cities while traveling. So instead of mopping and crying about it, why don't you try and make a loaf yourself. It does take some patience, and possibly some skill, but when you complete it the result is something of a feeling of accomplishment that you can only sense ever so often. Like building something from nothing or finishing a race worth running.
It is worth it. But don't take my word for it, try it out and see what happens. I bet it may not be perfect or what you intended, but just trying it will help you see that it is possible and you may find yourself trying again to perfect a recipe or try new recipes as well. I made this loaf last week to get through another gloomy day here in Michigan. Where is the snow people?! At least  if the grey was covered in white I think I could feel more romantic about winter.
In the meantime, I will be coping with some fresh homemade bread a pot of homemade soup and possible a book late into the evening. I think it is the only way to really feel the rest that winter intends for us. I hope you are finding new hopes this 2013!

Oatmeal Chia Bread Recipe
[gluten-free, vegan, nut-free and yeast and gum free]

2/3 cup of freshly ground buckwheat flour
1/2 cup of organic millet flour
1/2 cup of tapioca flour
1/2 cup of organic brown rice flour
1/2 cup of chia seed meal
1/4 cup of coconut sugar
1 1/2 ts. of baking powder
1/2 ts. of baking soda
1/2 ts. of sea salt
1/3 cup of olive or grapeseed oil
1/4 cup of blackstrap molasses

In a large mixing bowl, blend all of the gluten-free flours together with a whisk and then with the rest of the dry ingredients. You can add the oil and molasses in a pool in the middle of the dry. Then pour in the following mixture after it has sat for 5 minutes.

Separate wet ingredients:
1 cup of gluten-free rolled oats
2/3 cup of coconut milk beverage (I used So Delicious. Or sub other dairy-free milk)
1-2 TB of lemon juice
1 1/4 cup of boiling water

In a small glass bowl, pour the boiling water over the dry oats and then add the milk and lemon as well. Let it sit for 5 minutes or so to get soft and have the milk and lemon culture just a bit. Then add it to the above mixture of ingredients. Mix well and then let the batter sit for 5-10 minutes for the flours and chia to soak up the moisture and become more thick. Then grease a bread pan with coconut oil and a gluten-free flour. Pour the batter into the bread pan and smooth over like a quick bread and then top with some more flour, gluten-free oats or seed of choice.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes until the bread crust is hard on top and the middle of the bread is NOT gooey to the toothpick test.

Pull from oven and let cool for 15-20 minutes before sliding from pan and continuing to let cool on a bread or cookie cooling rack. When mostly cool, then you can use a bread knife and slice thin or thick slicing depending on your preference. This bread stays well for 3 days and is great toasted the next day in a toaster oven to warm up and spread some of your favorite toast goodness on top.

Enjoy!

Much love to you and may you find rest and peace today!

12 comments:

  1. SO making this...you have such a knack for gf/v breads Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, the color of this bread ALONE makes my mouth water. It looks so rich and delicious. I've done a bit with blackstrap molasses, but not bread - will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This bread looks delicious. I've just printed the recipe. I'm wondering if the bread has a strong molasses flavour. I do love molasses but hoping that it doesn't take over as the main flavour. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the molasses is overpowering at all, just a slight touch. enjoy!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, I'm so excited to try this recipe. I'm terrible at proofing yeast and therefore LOVE finding nutritious yeast-free bread recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was there supposed to be any gum in this? Great flavor but I couldn't cut mine without it falling apart.....and the molasses f
    Avon wasn't overpowering at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tessa- I didn't need gum and mine sliced fine... it crumbled a little bit more a few days after baking... but i let mine cool at least an hour and then used a serrated bread knife and sliced it pretty thick... not sure if that would make a difference. Also, did you use fresh ground buckwheat and chia? That might make a difference as well... I am sure you could easily add some xan gum or whatever gum of your choice next time and see if that is more like wheat you prefer... If you do, let me know I would love to put that into the recipe as well. Thanks for the comment!!!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for this recipe! I used steel cut oats instead of rolled oats and the bread tastes really great but it does need more moisture as it came out pretty crumbly. I'm thinking it might make the best ever bread pudding. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I sued both of those and tried thick and thin skies, as swell as waiting for it to be fully cool....but no luck...kids still gobbled it down though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The name of the post caught my attention! I love that foods can be used as healing vessels. This looks like a yummy and healthy treat! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Has anyone ever tried this in a bread machine? I am new to the GF/Vegan circuit and this bread recipe has given me hope for my future! haha

    ReplyDelete