Sunday, May 3, 2009

Carob Banana Bread


I buy a bunch of organic bananas every week. Mainly to add to morning smoothies because they make things blend so well, but also I guess out of habit. But occasionally we don't go through a batch and you know what that means... time for a good banana bread. Since making the bread only takes minutes to whip up, it is a great treat every once in a while. This happened to me today. I had three lonely, homely overly ripe bananas sitting next to my green-yellow almost turning ripe bananas. Gotta make banana bread! There is no use in throwing those "rotten" bananas out, especially when they make such a nice bread...gluten-free. So here's a recipe I put together with some leftover carob powder that I was saving for an occasion like this. Carob has a unique flavor and really adds a lot to the banana flavor. It is also considered a super food for the antioxidant-rich components to the bean. I guess if you didn't have any carob on hand and wanted to supplement some dark cocoa powder it might taste a little different than the carob, but yummy as well.

Mix:
2 cage-free free-range chicken eggs
3 overly ripe bananas
1/4 cup of almond milk
1/4 cup of grapeseed oil

Mush all together and let the suacant dissolve a bit.

Then add:
3/4 sweet sorghum flour
1/4 cup of brown rice flour
1/2 cup of buckwheat flour
1/3 cup of ground flax seeds
1/4 cup of carob powder
1 ts. of baking powder
1/4 ts. of sea salt
1/2 ts. of ground nutmeg

Mix well and let the batter start to show a few bubbles on top. Pour into a greased bread pan or 8x8 pan. I sprinkled a little extra sucanat and nutmeg on top before I put in the oven to add a little crispy crust to the finished product. Bake at 35o degrees for 35-40 minutes. Enjoy warm with a little bit of ghee (lactose/dairy free) or fruit jam. It is comfort bread and not too sweet, just right! With the little bit of oil and abundance of nutrients in the buckwheat, sorghum and flax, you will be getting great nutrients to carry through as well. A nutritious snack or treat, hey, even breakfast. 

Now the chore will be for you to let your bananas to go "rotten" so you can make this yummy bread. So take you time on using up those bananas, or just buy a bigger batch so you know you will have left overs. Hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I made the carob banana bread today. It is yummy! I think it would be enjoyed by the non-gluten free crowd too. I added a touch of citrus essence to it by using flavored oil and thought that gave it an interesting zing. Mmmm Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete