Sunday, August 16, 2009

Gluten-Free Zucchini Bread

One of my favorite things to do with zucchini is bake it. Hard to believe right?! Well, of course this time of year in Michigan we have summer squash and zucchini coming out of our ears. So stir-fried, grilled, baked, and sauteed zucchinis have made their way to our plates. I thought I would make something to last us a weekend camping trip for breakfast. So here is my best gluten-free bread recipe yet. Zucchini has made its way into our bread and it tastes delicious!
I don't grow my own zucchini yet, but you can find it at roadside stands on the outskirts of town, or at farmer's markets for sometimes 3 for a dollar or 2 large ones for a dollar. Good deal...and the vegetable is so versatile, stays fresh for many days and can last a long time in the fridge/freezer. So, the best answer to those odds would be to buy a lot of it and try some new recipes.

I bought multiple zucchini the last few days as I was driving in the farmlands outside the city. I decided to shred it with a cheese shredder and freeze it in freezer bags to have some for the fall and winter to make breads and cakes. It is a great way to add some more nutrients to your muffins and cakes and it tastes so good. For the vegetable haters out there, you will not even know it is in there...seriously! So, I shredded like four large zucchini's so far and have them in the freezer to use at a later date, but for now I am using up my fresh shredded on some fresh bread. Yum. Here is the recipe I use and would recommend for the gluten-free:

Recipe: (Ingredients high-lighted are linked to a page to show you what it is)
1 1/2 cup of sucant (dehydrated sugar cane juice) or organic unrefined sugar or sweetener of choice
2/3 cup of coconut oil, or 1/2 cup oil and 2 TB of ghee
3 large (or 4 small) farm fresh free-range eggs
3 cups of shredded zucchini (I shred mine with a cheese grater or shredder)
1 cup of sweet sorghum flour
1 cup of buckwheat flour
1/2 cup of brown rice flour
1/2 cup of white rice flour
1 ts. of baking powder
1 ts. of baking soda
1/2 ts. of sea salt
1 ts. of pure vanilla
1 TB. of cinnamon
1 ts. of ground cloves
1/2 ts. of ground nutmeg

(The gluten-free flours can be found at any health food store or bulk market.)

Optional toppings or mixed in batter:
chopped walnuts, dried cherries or cranberries, raisins, or chocolate chips, or even a combo of all.
The picture above is of some chocolate chips topping a 8x10 baking pan.

This recipe will make 2 bread pans or 24 muffins or 2 8x8 pans. So be creative. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40-50 minutes for the bread and baking pans, and about 20-22 minutes for muffins. Eat warm with some smothered ghee on top (first picture of post).

This past weekend I made a batch and brought it with us camping for a few days. It last miraculously through all the travels and it tasted divine every morning with a warm cup of tea.

So enjoy and have a nice summer day enjoying this heat! Much love to you all!

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to trying this recipe! I was under the impression that ghee was made from cows milk...do you have a dairy free one that you use?

    ReplyDelete