Monday, August 8, 2011

Peach-Topped Maple Oat Shortbread Cookies (gluten-free, vegan)


Maple-kissed oat shortbread cookies. Plus peaches... It's like eating a peaches n' cream oatmeal bowl in one yummy bite. So simple and delicious. I don't know what part I love more... the maple goodness, or the sweet peaches, or even the crumbling oats. Every bite has a perfect dose of each. I have fallen in love with these cute treats and my husband knows it...
I was away on vacation for a week, and away from my own kitchen. So always nice to be home and sleep in your own bed, and even so, cook in your own kitchen. Yet, I did enjoy being away. Sometimes you just need a break from routine you know. So nice to relax and enjoy my loves. When we got home, I made these little cookies with some fresh picked peaches that I got while away on vacation in northern Michigan. My husband walks into the kitchen and smells the goodness in the oven and exclaims, " You're back!" Like I was lost somewhere...

I am lost when I can't be creative. I'm a serious wreck. So, it's a good thing when I can let loose and create something just for me (and for all those to enjoy!) So these little sweeties came into existence with a few simple ingredients. They are free of sugar, eggs and nuts and of course gluten. No need to tell your friends though, they will want another after only one and who would blame them.
Just look at those pre-baked cuties. There is just something about them that will make you smile. Not to mention, they bring bright cheery sweetness to a rainy day. So wonderful for an afternoon tea break. And, if you don't have one of those in your schedule, you might just have to make these sweet things and create space for your first official 'tea break'.
After baking they will be golden in every way, crispy and sweet, and ready to eat!
Enough of my blubbering, I am sure you want the recipe before I go on and on about how much I love peaches...


Maple Oat Shortbread Cookies with Peach Tops
1 1/2 cup of gluten-free oat flour (I make my own by grinding gluten-free rolled oats in a food processor or magic bullet on high for a minute or so)
1/4 cup of gluten-free rolled oats
1/2 ts. of sea salt
1/3 cup of organic palm oil shortening (Spectrum Organic's Brand) Or use the same amount of extra virgin coconut oil that is solid
3-4 TB of pure maple syrup (I use local Michigan maple syrup...hm, the best!)
1 TB of So Delicious coconut milk beverage (or other non-dairy milk)
splash of vanilla (half teaspoon)
dash of cinnamon (half teaspoon)

Mix the flour, oats, salt and cinnamon in a bowl together with the shortening. The batter will almost be like a pie crust, with pea-sized batter pieces. Then add the maple syrup and splash of milk and vanilla and then mix well. It will be sticky, but that is ok, use a spoon to spoon out little balls sized pieces on a parchment papered baking sheet. You can roll the batter in your hands if you want, and then press your finger or thumb in the middle for the fruit topping.

Then, in a sauce pan,
put 1 cup of diced and pealed, fresh peaches

Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes or so to reduce the liquid and make a peachy-sauce. It should be free of most of the liquid when you spoon it into the cookies.

If you don't have peaches on hand, you could use 1 cup of any stone-fruit, like apricots, plums, or even cherries. These fruits seems like they would work best for this type of cookie.

Or, if you prefer, I bet some homemade preserves would be a yummy center to these cookies as well.

Try the peaches though...

They are so yummy!

Anyway,

Spoon a teaspoon or so of peach-sauce into the center of each pre-baked cookie. Like you would for thumbprint cookies. This recipe will make about 15-18 cookies depending on how big you make them. Then bake for 15-18 minutes in a 350 degree oven. They will be done when you decide on how crispy and golden you want them. Make sure to watch carefully so that you do not over bake and burn.

Then, pull from the oven and let sit for just a few minutes. The peach centers will be hot.

Now, it is time for trying...

I know you will have one and then think that it would be ok to have another...

or another...

They are cute enough.

Hope you enjoy and have a beautiful week. Don't forget to enter the Joy Bauer GIVEAWAY by Friday morning!

Much love to you!

6 comments:

  1. I made these and they turned out wonderfully! I love the peach topping so much that I added extra topping to my cookies when I ate them. Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad and I just put a double batch in the oven. Can't wait to see how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lane- Hope they turned out. Perfect for Christmas! Much love xox Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cookies are perfect. We're topping them with different flavors of all-fruit preserves. My dad says they taste a bit like pop tarts, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lane- Ohhh, I like that. Little pop tart cookies. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete