Thursday, November 10, 2011

Tahini Roasted Kale Chips

Tahini roasted anything is good. So why not roast your kale with a touch of tahini and make an easy snack that is green and packed full of vitamins and goodness? Why not, right?! 

Kale is full of vitamin K, C and A- all essential vitamins for your immune system and blood. Good to keep you strong and full of energy. And, great this time of year when the cold germs are everywhere and the busy-ness of the holiday season quickly approaches. Kale is dubbed a super-food by modern nutritionists and has been said to be a healing agent against digestive issues. But really why wouldn't it be? Hello- it's green and totally seems like the healthiest green thing to eat on the planet.
Also, it is November and I still have kale growing in my garden, in fact, besides a few herbs, it is the only thing growing in my whole yard. It is the heartiest green I have ever seen. I look in the backyard and I see tons of dead leaves, brush and an obscene hole of where the garden once was... and then I spot the green beacon of life coming from the kale plants. They still stand strong and green, in fact they look brighter and greener now than in August. So, they stand there green in the dead backyard as a reminder that we must eat our greens. And with a touch of tahini and a few spices, these "kale chips" are perfect for eating straight from the oven as a snack or topping on a soup or salad or even as a side dish for lunch or dinner. Plus, the added fats in the tahini (and oils) helps your body digest the nutrients in the kale better. It makes the vitamins more soluble and that is always a good reminder when eating your greens.
Tahini Roasted Kale Chips (vegan)

1 large  bunch of curly or lactino kale (about 4 cups of washed, deveined and chopped leaves)
3 TB of natural tahini (not sesame seed butter because it is too thick) you just want an oily-natural-tahini
*drizzle of olive oil if your tahini doesn't have any naturally occurring sesame oils
1 ts. of ground paprika
1 ts. of ground garlic powder
1/2 ts. (or more if you like it hot) of black pepper or cayenne pepper
1 ts. of wheat free tamari sauce
1 TB of pure maple syrup
dash of sea salt if you like

First, wash and de-vein your kale leaves and make sure you pat the leaves dry with towel. You get less soggy and crispier kale chips with drier leaves. Roasting clean, dry and crisp leaves is key!


Mix all of the above ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Make sure you chop the kale leaves to be more bite size if you want to make "chips". The tahini you use should and must be a natural variety that has lots of naturally occurring oils coming from it. If you use a thicker tahini, I suggest you drizzle just a touch of olive oil to get the tahini spread over all of the leaves. Add the spices and thoroughly blend over all of the leaves. Spread out the coated kale leaves on a baking sheet. Spread thin and don't double up the leaves too much. Then put in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, then turn over the leaves and bake again for 10-15 minutes, until they are crispy to your liking. Then, let cool just a minute and eat!
This way of eating kale is so addicting. You can't stop popping the leaves in your mouth. But I guess that isn't such a bad thing! Much rather being addicted to green chips than fried chips or fake foods. This is a perfect snack for kiddos and an after school boost.

I am hoping my kale will keep growing until December (or at least until the snow starts falling)! Kale is one of my most favorite vegetables to add to everything. And, my baby loves it too. I guess it is as they say, monkey see monkey do. And I really hope my little monkey continues to enjoy all the green things that I do. What's your favorite way to eat kale or roast kale?

Hope you have a great day and stay warm and healthy!

Much love!

5 comments:

  1. I remember your recipe for tahini roasted cauliflower. It was so delicious, and just the other day seeing some beautiful organic cauliflower at the grocery, it popped into my head to make it again. And now with this recipe, I am excited to follow through and roast some kale as well. Thanks for sharing, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good, healthy and guilt free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved these! I added some lemon juice to thin, added a shake of salt. I was burning them at 350 within 10 minutes, so I bumped the heat down to 250 and watched them....about 12-15 minutes. I MUST stop eating these! The whole head is almost gone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did anyone else have issues with the mixture glooping up like cement? I added extra olive oil, but the mixture would not spread. It clumped together and I finally had to dab a splotch on some of the bigger leaves. It was odd; I wondered if a couple of the ingredients didn't agree and maybe I could change the application process next time with better results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i had the same problem. i think maybe lemon juice would have helped. thought i had just messed up the recipe.

      Delete