Friday, December 23, 2011

Pumpkin Nog Pancakes (gluten-free, vegan)

 Christmas morning is 2 sleeps away. Can you believe it?! 
I made these amazing pumpkin nog pancakes this morning. We are starting the Christmas holiday a bit early. Might as well with these sweet babies. So delicious and perfect for Christmas. They are mostly made with buckwheat flour and can be made vegan. I made both a batch with an egg and a batch without. Both turned out pretty much the same and were perfect. The nog makes the batter extra thick so you may feel like you are flipping burgers over flipping pancakes- to make them thinner just spread out the cake right after you lay some batter on the skillet. Spread it thin and it will be a thinner cake. I didn't want to try and add more liquid because I wanted the cakes to stick together well, but if you want to experiment I bet you could add a touch more nog or pumpkin to thin them just a bit. I learned a lot about pancakes in general from Iris' post (@the Daily Dietribe), and these are similar to her base recipe. Yet, I think what really makes these cakes great is that they are perfectly chewy and fluffy, which I think the nog deserves credit for. Perfect combo. Especially for Christmas!

Pumpkin Nog Pancake Recipe
1 cup of freshly ground buckwheat flour
1/4 cup of millet flour
1/2 cup of tapioca flour
2 ts. of baking powder
1 ts. of ground nutmeg
1 ts. of pumpkin pie spice blend
1-2 TB of coconut palm sugar

2 TB of light olive oil or grapeseed oil
1 to 1 1/4 cup of So Delicious Coconut Nog (or other vegan nog)
1 farm fresh egg (or egg replacement- use 1 TB of chia meal and 1/4 cup more nog)
1/3 cup of pumpkin puree ( I used fresh)

In a mixing bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together first. Then add the oil, pumpkin (egg or replacement) plus the nog. Whisk well with a rubber spatula or whisk. Then let sit for a few minutes for it to gel together and allow the baking powder to activate. 


In a skillet, covered in grapeseed or coconut oil (both oils are better for frying), take a 1/3 cup of the batter and spread it on the skillet. You can use a griddle skillet, or I used a cast iron skillet. Make sure to not have your temp too high, you can always raise the heat, but it's hard to drop the heat quickly if the cakes are burning. Cook about 2 minutes on each side. You know the first side is cooked when you noticed bubbles popping from the top of the cake. Flip em' and watch carefully to not burn. 


This recipe makes about 10-12 pancakes. Serves about 4 people.
For serving top with a drizzle of pure maple syrup, craisins, or even fresh fruit. A dash of nutmeg or powdered sugar might be a nice touch as well. I also like to have a little pat of some vegan butter. Super delicious. And, such a treat for Christmas morning.
I hope you have a blessed and restful holiday. Remember that the coming of Jesus is the miracle of heaven and earth coming together. He comes to be with us. He brings us hope, joy, peace and love. His love defines our lives and in Him we find restoration and grace. I am so thankful for this miracle and for this gift every day.

Thank you all for allowing me to be a part of your holiday in a small way. I hope your gluten-free Christmas will bring you joy and no stress.
Much love and light to you this Christmas!

Xoxo
Stephanie

2 comments:

  1. Don't know how I missed these, but love the combo you came up with! I can only imagine how rich these tasted with the egg nog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iris- Thanks for the comment. I must say that your pancake post a while back has been a constant inspiration to me when it comes to pancakes :) Hope you are well! Much love!

    ReplyDelete