Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Sunbutter No-Bake Oat Cookies

Hope you all had a great Christmas- can you believe how it goes by so quickly and then the new year is right before us?! I love reminiscing over the past year. And I am a complete sucker for all those top ten year-end lists (or top eleven, this year). I love to know who made the list for the most inspiring, beautiful and whatever else. It is interesting to me how certain things become trendy or fall out of trend so quickly. It is also interesting to me how the general public views people and our society. I guess you could call me a 'people watcher'. And that goes for the media and pop culture as well. 

But I also love reminiscing over my own life from the past year. The first full year as a new momma and watching my babe grow, crawl, and now walk. My son is a constant reminder to me how life is moving so fast and that each new day is a gift. 

With life moving so fast, this week would be a great time to find some space to reflect...or make resolutions...or goals... or dreams....it is a great time to ask what you want to keep in your life, what you want to get rid of and what to want to add. I like to think about the things I want to add...silly things like more fictional adventure books. Or sensible goals like more chia seeds to my diet. Really the sky is the limit on who you want to become in your life. Taking the time to really write some things down about your self and the past and coming year can be really rejuvenating and inspiring for your soul. 

In the meantime, after all the busy-ness of the holidays, you may also just need a very simple and delicious way to end the year. And, yes, I have yet another cookie recipe. This is my 7th cookie recipe this month, and I thought I would finish off the theme right with one last recipe. And this one is just perfect after being worn out from traveling, parties, cooking and yes, even baking.
These no-bake cookies will rise to the job and make your year-end parties, reflections and whatever else more wonderful. I have another no-bake cookie recipe that is made with a peanut butter base. Which I love, but this one is amazing with the no-nuts option. I am a huge fan of sunflower seed butter. I have fallen off the wagon for it this year. Seriously, my favorite butter for toast, cookies, pies and more. So consider sunflower seed butter to be in my top-ten foods for the year of 2011 :)
Sunbutter No-Bake Oat Cookie Recipe 
(gluten, dairy, egg and nut-free)
4 cups of certified gluten-free rolled oats (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 ts. of course sea salt
1 cup of non-dairy milk (I used So Delicious coconut milk beverage)

1 cup of creamy Sunbutter
1/2 cup of organic coconut oil or a vegan butter alternative
1/2 cup of coconut palm sugar
1/4 cup of maple syrup (or add more coconut sugar)
1/2 cup of cocoa powder
1/2 ts. of pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup of non-dairy milk (I used So Delicious coconut milk beverage)

First, in a large mixing bowl add the 4 cups of oats, sea salt and then 1/2 cup of milk. Mix around and let the oats sit for 10-15 minutes to soak up the milk and become just a touch more soft. Then in a medium saucepan add the remaining ingredients. Let the sunbutter, sucanat, milk and oil melt and stir continually with a rubber spatula. When the mix is completely combined and warm (don't let it get too hot or boil for more than a second) Then you pour the hot chocolate mix over the oats. Stir well, getting every oat covered. Then let sit for 10-15 minutes to stiffen just a bit. After about 10 minutes you can plop down a cookie-sized serving glop, ball or whatever you want to call it on a parchment papered cookie sheet or even in a 9x13 pan. This recipe will make about 3 dozen cookies, so you want to make sure you have enough room in your fridge to cool these cookies down. I suggest a cookie sheet for 1-2 dozen and then a cover container to put in the remaining amount. Then you can stack the cooling cookies in the fridge without too much fuss. Chill in the fridge for 2 or more hours. These cookies keep best in the fridge and are delicious served cool or at room temperature with a hot beverage. 

If you want to add another ingredient while you are in the mixing process of the sauce and the oats, here are a few suggestions with amounts:


optional ingredients
1/2 cup mini allergy-free bitter-sweet chocolate chips (Enjoy Life brand)
1/2 cup of favorite dried fruit
1/2 cup of favorite seed or mix

I hope you try out this super simple and wonderful cookie recipe and enjoy!

I hope to have one or two more posts before January, which will include some of my most popular recipes for 2011. And a few of my favorite foods and products for 2011. I told you I was a sucker for top-1- lists :) Consider yourself warned :)

Much love and life to you today!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stephanie!
    I'm also in GR and a huge SunButter fan, which is what led me to your blog. These look delicious, and it's nice to know there are others out there in GR like me, most likely searching for all the great products people brag about finding at Trader Joes and Whole Foods ;)

    Have a great New Year!

    ReplyDelete