Thursday, February 28, 2013

Soft and Chewy Baguette Bread (gluten, dairy, yeast, nut and sugar-free)

Have you noticed? I talk about the weather a lot. I did at one point want to be a weather-gal on the evening news, but as we all know that hasn't happened (yet!). I also like how people who are farmers, gardeners, and growers are close to the weather predictions and forecasts because their livelihood depends on it. I feel like because I have become a fellow gardener I understand this more than ever.  And now, I feel like my sensitive soul is just a bit more in tune on how the weather does affect our health and moods. Call my crazy, but I defiantly see differences in how people feel and act depending on the weather and what may be brewing up in the atmosphere. Or how the cycles of the moon play into and affect our sleep (and digestion) as well. It is just another example on how everything is connected and how you have to be aware of the cause and effect of our lives and what we put into them and take out.
But it turns out, I am a baker. And this just means that I like to use the excuse for bad weather to spend some time baking in the kitchen. So for the last few days with lots more snow, rain, sleet and whatever that slushy yuck stuff is... I have been enjoying some quality baking time in the kitchen. Cooking some hearty soup and of course some bread to pair. Every gluten-free soul must let go of the fact that gluten bread is the only way to really enjoy bread and you have to go out in the world and explore ideas of making bread without wheat and gluten. It can be done. It has been done and many times it surprises you how wonderful it actually can be.
I love to experiment and try new ideas in the kitchen. I have had many failures along the way, but because my mistakes often are remade into a masterpiece later I don't give up.
This recipe was purely inspired by Iris' Easy French Bread at Daily Dietribe, but with some tweaks of my own, and some experimenting with the lack of, or love of other ingredients I came up with this bread that my family loved. I have to buy some whole psyllium husks to try a more accurate version of Iris' recipe. But I was surprised how well the powder worked in this recipe. I have to admit I was a bit nervous to eat a bread based in psyllium husks because of the fear of having too much time in the bathroom (TMI) but still there was no reason for concern for anyone in my household, so be rest assured.... it will not have the same affect of drinking a fiber supplement, unless I guess if you eat the whole loaf in one sitting!

Some of my favorite yummy soups to pair with it, a favorite chicken and rice (or rice noodle) soup recipe, Red Lentil Italian Soup, or a favorite chili recipe. Really any favorite winter soup or stew you may be craving will work perfectly with this yummy bread warm from the oven. Super easy and super healthy too!
Soft and Chewy Baguette Bread Recipe
{gluten, dairy, nut, yeast and gum-free}
Inspired by Iris' Easy French Bread at The Daily Dietribe

1 cup coconut milk beverage (I used So Delicious)
1 cup pure water
2 TB psyllium husk powder (I used powder- not whole)
2 TB apple cider vinegar

2 TB of olive oil
2 TB honey or other liquid sweetener

1 cup of white rice flour
1 cup of white sorghum flour
1 ts. of baking powder
1 ts. of baking soda
1/2 ts. of sea salt

plus handful of white rice flour for dusting


First, in a small glass bowl whisk together the coconut milk,water and psyllium powder. Then add in the vinegar and honey, oil and honey. Whisk together well and let sit for a minute or two. It will become a blob-like substance. Then add all of the mixed together dry ingredients and fold the dry into the wet. It will become a weird blob-like dough and then you can pour it onto a white-rice floured counter top or space with parchment paper. Roll a long 12-15 inch loaf into existence and then fold over and place on an oiled or parchment baking cookie sheet. Dust with more flour if it is sticky and then use a serrated knife to cut some decor lines or whatever pokes you desire. 

Put in 350 degree pre-heated oven for 45-50 minutes and let sit for 15-20 minutes depending on your oven and elevation. 

Use a bread knife to slice thick chewy slices and enjoy with your favorite soup or stew or spread with your favorite butter or jam.

Much love as always, stay warm, and remember spring is really just around the corner...

19 comments:

  1. I just tried to make this bread and its not a blob, mine is really liquidy. Are you sure it is 1 cup coconut mil and 1 cup water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just tried this recipe.....I had to add at least two more cups of flour for good form. It took about ten minutes longer to bake, but it is very tasty. I would make it again. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Delicious Alt- Did you use husk powder or whole husks? That may be why the water seems too much? Not sure... how did the dough turn out after baking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry if this is an annoying question but do you think the white rice flour could be subbed out for brown rice flour or more sorghum flour? Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunflower- I hnestly have not tried that sub yet, so I would not know if it would work well with the sorghum flour. The white rice is more starchy so I would assume that you would miss that and it might turn out a bit differently. But totally worth a try... if you try it... then please let me know!!! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry if this is an annoying question, but do you think I could sub out the white rice flour for brown rice or more sorghum flour? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found this recipe through The Gluten & Dairy Free Bakehouse and I absolutely LOVE it! It's the first easy bread that I have been able to make that comes out beautifully, soft and edible, without the complication of having to use so many different flours. This is now my go to bread recipe. I subbed out the Sorgham flour with Brown Rice Flour and it worked perfectly. Thank you for such a lovely recipe. My husband in particular is so grateful. Lynne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie, thank you for this great recipe! I've made it many times now and my husband loves it. We needed GF, DF, and egg free. This is the easiest bread and tastes so good! The store bought stuff is gross and hard to find egg free. Thank you so much! Hope your baby and you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was quite hard to contain my excitement when I happened upon your gluten free, egg free and gum-free baguette. I definitely had to include it in my "Food Allergy Friendly and Clean Eating" Thanksgiving recipe round-up.

    http://infectiousoptimism.blogspot.com/2013/11/2013-food-allergy-friendly-and-clean.html

    Please continue to create recipes just like this one. You are such a fantastic resource!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can we replace the pysllium husk with either chia seeds or flax seed ( blended )

    ReplyDelete
  10. did I roll it out too much? It looks kinda flat, not so round as yours. Have not tasted it yet, but oh my does it ever smell so wonderful my stomach is justing gurgling with anticipation . Something so delicious smelling has got to taste amazing. Never thought I would smell the smell of home made bread that I can eat again. thanks so much!!! Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you make it without apple cider vinegar, as I think it contains yeast?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just made the dinner rolls and came out way too sweet after using close to 2 tb of maple syrup (my son is allergic to honey).Also,not a big fan of the weird taste.I was wondering if these recipes could be made using less sweetener and also,if I could replace the non dairy milk with real milk.Thank you.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so delicious! The entire family loved this recipe. About 10 minutes before taking it out of the oven, I brushed the top of the loaf with melted ghee. My boys (6 and 4) ate their entire sandwiches for the first time since they went gluten-free (both have been suffering from stomach pain after eating bread, eggs, or anything with yeast). I would go so far as to say this beats many wheat/yeast-based breads in terms of taste. I am so glad I found your site and my entire family thanks you for this great recipe! The store-bought gluten-free bread just tastes so terrible:(

    ReplyDelete
  14. My son has histamine issues, so I've looked high and low for a bread that could be made simply and without yeast or vinegar (I subbed in lemon juice for the vinegar). I made your baguette today, and our family loved your recipe. Thank you so much for sharing it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This bread turned out amazing! Thank you for sharing!! It was the first bread that rose and actually stayed risen :) It also tasted amazing :D I used millet flour instead of white rice flour :) and used all baking pwd no vinegar and baking soda --Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi,
    Was just wondering, what other flour can I use to substitute rice flour, I am allergic to rice, would teff, amaranth, flaxmeal, corn, or buckwheat flour work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. instead of rice you can use buckwheat, teff or oats for best results, or you could try corn as well. Let me know what happens ;)

      Delete