Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Mini Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes

It's true- I have made many {many!} chocolate cupcakes in my gluten-free baking days. Most all of them have been made with eggs or even sometimes with the substitution of flax or chia gel. Yes, most of them have turned out pretty good and I think there are 3-4 recipes of said cupcakes already on this blog. And here I am, again, posting.. one... more...cupcake recipe.
This recipe is an example of my evolution of where I am with my current gluten-free baking life. And my evolution comes solely from my sweet daughter having both egg and seed allergies. So, I attempted the unthinkable.... gluten-free baking without eggs, dairy, nuts, seeds, gums, soy, and corn. But I like to pretend to be somewhat normal and not proclaim on the roof tops how these cupcakes are different. I would like you to try them, gluten-free and gluten-friends alike. These cupcakes are just as darn good as any other regular cupcake you will try and I like making them in the mini-size best because we all know you are going to want more than one. Seriously, this recipe I have made more than two dozen times this fall and holiday season for birthday, holiday and school parties. It is a keeper that you will want to have in your back pocket. I can actually say that you should disregard any other my previous cupcake recipes. This one is it!

I promise!

And I love to share, so now here you go!
Mini Chocolate Cupcake Recipe 
{egg, seed, nut, soy, dairy and corn free}
3/4 cup of finely ground GF oat flour
(I make my flour by grinding 1 cup of GF oats in high powered blender)
1/2 cup of white rice flour
1/4 cup of tapioca flour
1/2 cup of baking cocoa
1 cup of coconut palm sugar (I like Wholesome brand)
1 1/2 ts. of corn-free baking powder (I like Hain brand)
1 ts. baking soda
1 ts. of sea salt

1/2 cup of coconut milk beverage (I always use So Delicious brand)
mixed with 1 TB of apple cider vinegar

1/2 cup of melted coconut oil
1/4 cup of pure maple syrup
1/4 cup of pure applesauce
1 TB of pure vanilla

First, mix all of the dry ingredients in one large bowl, then in a measuring cup or glass mix the coconut milk beverage with the apple cider vinegar and let it curdle for a few minutes. Then add that and all the rest of the wet ingredients to the mixing bowl mix well and the mix may even get stiff as the coconut oil cools down. It may also look more like a brownie batter. Use an oiled TB spoon to spoon the batter into the mini cupcake tins in the pan. Or use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to measure a regular cupcake. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-22 minutes until stiff and no more gooey center. 

Let the cupcakes cool well and then frost with this little treasure frosting below...

Dairy-Free Frosting
1/2 cup of Spectrum Organic Palm Oil Shortening
1/2 cup of organic corn-free powdered sugar (I like Wholesome brand)
1/4 cup of pure honey
1 ts. of pure vanilla
1/4 cup of very soft coconut oil
1 TB of coconut milk beverage or creamer
dash of sea salt
1-2 TB of cocoa powder, or beet powder, or spiralina green powder to make a colorful and flavorful frosting without the use of dye or fake chemicals

In the photos of the cupcakes I added the cocoa powder and made a light chocolate flavor frosting.
I topped the frosting with dye-free sprinkles


No comments:

Post a Comment