Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Goat-Cheese Holiday Cheese Ball

So the last few days of 2009 are before us, and 2010 is about to begin. A new year, a new month, and new beginnings. A great time to celebrate! I wanted to post this recipe before tomorrow in case you were looking for some last minute ideas to serve as party pleasers. I am not a huge dairy consumer, and when I do eat dairy I usually make sure that it is raw goat dairy or raw dairy to get the most enzymes and nutrients from it. This cheese ball idea was inspired from a cheese ball that my grandma used to make every Christmas at her house. She would make hers out of cheddar and who knows what else. I was trying to make a more healthy version of that with the main ingredient being goat cheese. So, here we go...

Goat Cheese Ball Ingredients:
6-8 ounces of goat cheese chevre (smooth cream cheese)
4 ounces of goat cheese feta cheese (crumbly)
4 ounces of shredded goat cheddar cheese (shredded)

Mix all the cheese parts with:
1 TB of minced onion, or garlic works too
1 TB of dried Italian herb blend
1/2 ts of ground pepper and sea salt

Roll in:
1 cup of crushed pecans making a pecan meal

Mix the cheese with all the spices in a large bowl and then form a ball in your hands. Roll the ball in a pecan meal powder with small pecan pieces. Cover the whole cheese ball in the nuts and then set on a plate. Spread out an arrangement of gluten-free crackers. Some of my favorite crackers that are store bought... Let sit in the fridge for a few hours before serving to harden and to let the flavors meld together.

My favorite gluten-free cracker to serve with cheese:

mg_crackers.jpg

and other favorites include other nut and rice blend cracker varieties are good too. Just make sure they are certified gluten-free.

Another favorite topping to a cracker, a little cheese, and then a dollup of some hot red pepper jelly. http://www.stonewallkitchen.com/prdsell.aspx?L0=specialtyfoods&L1=Jams&L2=RedPepperJelly

25160v1.jpg

I love this sweet and hot jelly on top the cool and creamy cheese with a little crunchy cracker. It is almost a delicacy. A special treat for sure! Try it, I gurentee you will love it! You can find the jelly at many specialty cheese, wine and deli stores. Or at least something similar to it. Ask around and see what you can find. Also, the crackers and cheese ingredients can be found at most health food stores, or maybe even your local market. See what you can find and don't be afraid to ask around and try something special for the holiday if you can handle the goat cheese. I love the treat and enjoy every bite on a special occasion.

I hope you have a blessed and happy new year's and many many new joys to you in the new year! The next time I post it will be a brand new year! I am hoping to post some of my new year resolutions and goals for 2010. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. Super fun! Great recipe, I will be back for this one for my next party! You are so inventive!

    ReplyDelete