Monday, December 21, 2009

Hazelnut Currant Cookies

If you are the crunchy cookie lover, then this recipe is for you. They are crispy, crunchy and have the kind of snap that you would expect out of some of the 'old world' cookie varieties. Like old Dutch, Spanish, Italian, varieties of cookies that they are famous for. Most of these varieties have nuts as a base. Most commonly almonds. And not that I wouldn't love using almonds in another treat, but these are made with the unique and delicate hazelnut. I think my most favorite hazelnut treat would be Nutella, or chocolate hazelnut butter, but when you add them in cookies and cakes they are fabulous as well. So, have I got your attention yet?

You may be thinking, could I really handle another cookie recipe? Or you may be suspiciously asking if I am eating all of these cookies on my own. Haha, well, to answer the questions that I'm sure you are not asking, but I ask them because I'm just dying to justify all my baking...

It's Christmas time and cookies are one of the most important details to not be missed :)

So my friends, here is another gluten-free dairy-free cookie recipe to inspire you to do some holiday baking to be enjoyed by all. Oh, and I forgot to say that yes, I am enjoying all of the cookies this season, and yet sharing them may be just as wonderful!

Hazelnut Currant Cookies Recipe
3/4 cup of buckwheat flour
3/4 cup of sweet sorghum flour
1 cup of ground hazelnuts, either in a food processor or coffee bean grinder
(or almonds if you have those available)
1 ts of baking powder
1/2 ts of sea salt
1 cup of sucanat (dehydrated unrefined cane juice powder)
1 ts. of ground cinnamon
2 ts. of ground ginger
1/2 ts. of ground cloves
1/4 cup of agave nectar
1/2 cup of coconut oil + 1 TB of organic palm oil shortening, or just more coconut oil
1 TB of vanilla
juice from one lemon
1 farm fresh egg
1/2 cup of organic dried currants
1/2 cup of shredded coconut flakes

Mix all of the dry ingredients together first, then add the oil, egg, lemon juice, vanilla and agave. Mix well with a spatula. Add the shredded coconut and currants last. Let the batter sit for 20-30 minutes before baking to let the ingredients soak up the moisture and let the flavors meld together. Then use a teaspoon to spoon out little balls onto a parchment papered baking sheet. Bake for 12-14 minutes in a 350 degree pre-heated oven. Then pull from the oven, and let cool for 10 minutes before moving. They are a bit crispier in texture like I said, but you would still want to let them cool just a bit before moving.

They are a great addition to your platter of Christmas cookies. If you do not have currants but some variety of raisin, those would work well too. I even made a few without the coconut and currants and they turned out great too, especially if you are looking for a plain-jane variety.

So, I have been sharing many of my gluten-free inspired Christmas cookie favorites...now what are some of your favorite Christmas cookies from growing up...

Much love and holiday cheer to you!

2 comments:

  1. Can I use honey or organic cane sugar instead of sucanat?
    If I don't have shredded coconut, do I just leave it out, or add something else instead?
    bunny's mum
    friend from dubai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you can use organic sugar or honey in this recipe. If you co nit have the coconut, I would suggest adding a little bit of some seeds or nut pieces, or just leave it out is fine too. Hope that helps :) Much love, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete