Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Spicy Molasses Cookies (gluten and dairy free)

Today, I post my most favorite cookie recipe. I know I say that today, right. It's pretty plain. But I'm addicted, and there is just not anything you can say to change my mind. I love molasses cookies. These cookies I have been making since last Christmas. I found a good traditional recipe to convert into a gluten-free one and have found it to be faithfully good every time. They are a bit hearty because I do use some buckwheat flour, and not too sweet, and even just a tad spicy. I love the rich deep flavor and how I could sneak one for a snack and not have to worry about a "sugar" buzz or bad calories. These little babies are 'just right' in every single way. I bet if Mary Poppins was going to make a perfect cookie, she would come up with this one. It is that good. Well, at least I think so :)
Some interesting health facts about molasses: It is a by product of sugar cane. It is the leftover syrup that is extracted in the sugar making process is the molasses. I like to use blackstrap molasses which is the most potent form of molasses, and contains significant amounts of vitamins and minerals. Molasses has 20% of your daily value of calcium, iron, magnesium, and potassium. So, it is sometimes used as a supplement to those who have a hard time digesting nutrients. Another important fact of info is to look specifically for "unsulphured" molasses. In the sugar making process, sulfur dioxide is added to preserve the sugar, and so most molasses is made with this sulfur preservative. To avoid the preservative potency, look for unsulphured molasses which is made with mature sugar cane, instead of the young version of the sugar cane. Basically, you gain more health benefits when you by the 'unsulfured' 'blackstrap' variety. Although, these cookies can be made with any molasses. I like to have a little healthy vitamins though if I am going to be consuming more than one cookie :) I'm just saying...
Spicy Chewy Molasses Cookies
1 cup of sucanat (unrefined dehydrated cane juice powder)
1/2 cup of brown rice flour
1/2 cup of white rice flour
1 cup of sweet sorghum flour
1/3 cup of buckwheat flour
2 ts. of baking soda
2 ts. of ground ginger
1 ts. of ground cinnamon
1/2 ts. of ground cloves
1/2 ts. of ground cardamon
1/4 ts. of ground black pepper
1/2 ts. of sea salt
1/3 cup of blackstrap molasses
1-2 TB of local raw honey
1/2 cup of baking oil (grapeseed, light olive or coconut)
1 large fresh farm egg (or an egg substitute for 1 egg).

Optional: candied ginger pieces added (1/2 cup or so).

Mix all the dry ingredients together and then add the rest of the wet ingredients. Use a fork to mix thoroughly, and then a spatula to keep it all together. Roll out little teaspoon sized balls on a parchment papered cookie sheet. An optional step is to roll the cookie dough in white sugar before putting on the cookie sheet. This just adds more sugar, so I personally avoid this step, but it would add a nice touch if sugar were not a problem. I like to use my large pan (12x18) and I can get about 20 cookies on there. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes. These can be pulled from the oven and set to cool on the pan for the first few minutes Then transfer to a cooling rack or paper. This recipe makes about 3 dozen to 40 cookies. Enjoy with loved ones to add holiday cheer, or save some for Santa, or share in a cookie exchange. They are good in almost every occasion. Enjoy friends!!!

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cookies! Sometimes simple really is the best =D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh this recipe sounds great, and I really love molasses cookies! Did you do the integrative nutrition program in NYC or online? I have a couple of friends here in NYC who have graduated from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iris, I was in the IIN live program in NYC. I traveled 10 times to the city and loved the program very much. You should consider it if you are interested... it was worth every penny. Thanks for the comment. I was happy to find your blog today!

    ReplyDelete